Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rule Follower Explained

In my post yesterday I think I may have failed to clarify that I am not implying that the "law" is bad and we should never keep the rules. This was not my intent. I came across a quote this morning in my devotional time and wanted to share it. I believe it says somewhat of what I was implying or at least it expands on it.

John Piper writes in his devotional A GODWARD LIFE, "Tragically most of us have been taught that duty, not delight, is the way to glorify God. We have not been taught that delight in God is our duty! Being satisfied with God is not an optional add-on to the real stuff of Christian duty. It is the most basic demand of all. 'Delight yourself in the LORD' (Psalm 37:4) is not a suggestion, but a command. So are: 'Serve the LORD with gladness' (Psalm 100:2) and, 'Rejoice in the Lord always' (Philippians 4:4)"(p. 23)

Following rules and christian duty are not bad things. However when we let them be our perceived righteousness then the law, morals and duty become a bondage. I think it's a sad testimony to the state of modern Christianity that we even have to clarify that works duties, and obligation will not make you right with God. Unfortunately the Church in the West is becoming more performance driven and man-centered that we are pushing grace, justification and salvation through Christ alone to the backburner. I think people fail to realize that when we submit ourselves to Jesus Christ and allow Him to be Lord of our lives then rule following and duty will come naturally as a form of worship and not as our righteousness.

1 comment:

cjewing said...

I find the more I follow the Lord the less it is about me & so much more about Him. It's not about rules, because I cannot keep them. I didn't before I was saved & I don't believe it's about me keeping them now. It is about surrendering daily, listening to & obeying the Spirit wherever that may lead.