Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Confusing In-Between

As many of you know I have been reading (slowly) through Pete Scazzero's EMOTIONALLY HEALTHY SPIRITUALITY and it has been a HUGE blessing in my life recently. As I have been reading through the chapter entitled "Enlarge Your Soul Through Grief and Loss" he introduces the concept of "Wait in the Confusing In-Between". I love when someone gives a name or title to something that I have been feeling but am unable to articulate. Scazzero writes, "My greatest challenge in following Jesus Christ for over thirty years has been waiting on God when things are confusing." To that I say amen.

As a person I tend to be wired as a "fixer". A fixer is a person who tries to fix something when things don't go the way he/she plans (especially when they are out of his/her control). Simply put, I am a man of little patience and I dislike not being in control of certain situations. I know and believe Psalm 37:7 (Be still and know I am God) but I find it hard to flesh out in my life. I don't like to wait in general but I really don't like waiting when I am uncertain of things around me. The confusing in-between is a place where I find myself often and I need to have patience in this place. Peter Scazzero writes, "The confusing in-between resists all earthly categories and quick solutions. It runs contrary to our Western culture that pervades our spirituality."

Lord, give me peace and patience in the confusing in-betweens so I may truly be still and know you are God.

1 comment:

cjewing said...

The Lord gave me that same verse awhile back. I remember thinking, that is so like God to say, "be still & know that I am God". Funny, "be" is an action word & "still" is just that, "being" without action. I find He loves to challenge us with the contradictions in life. Then we know it is of Him & not us.