Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Phone Call

Yesterday I was speaking with a man who has mentored me as a pastor and has been a great friend.  I called him because I had some heavy issues on my heart and I wanted to ask him for his insight.  I began to tell him some things that have been happening in my life and what I really felt God was calling me to do in regards to my calling as a pastor.  I assured him God had affirmed my calling to Pastor at Spring Valley Congregational Church.  As I was sharing (probably about 15 minutes) a specific heartfelt concern I waited for his response for about 20 seconds and all I heard was silence.

I said, "Are you there?"

Nothing.

"Hello?  Hello?"

Still nothing.  The line was dead.

I hung up and called him back and I was thinking to myself, "This is really weird.  I am on a landline pouring out my heart and the thing goes dead."  I have been a Pastor here for 5 years and phone has never done that before.

I finally call him back and say, "For some time now a lot of weird things like this have been happening and they are not normal.  I feel like I am in a deep Spiritual battle."

My friend responds, "That's funny, because when you finished talking to me I said, 'Wow, there is really some warfare going on there' and that's exactly when you started asking if I was there."

I am not a person who sees a devil behind every rock or tree but I do believe as believers we are engaged in a Spiritual battle where Satan tries however he can to frustrate us, cause us to question our calling and our standing in Jesus.  There is a difference between being discerning and being paranoid.  I believe (through the confirmation of others) that we are experiencing a warfare and God is calling us to engage, and we will be victorious.  I am now in the midst of praying some very specific prayers for this church because I believe they have long been ignored.  Would you join in praying with me against any kind of demonic activity that may be going on in this body and in my life.  I do count it a joy that we are worthy of this trial before us but I believe God will ultimately be glorified through this and his Body will be strengthened.

No comments: