Monday, October 1, 2012

Wake Up Call

Recently I have been having some eye opening experiences in my life and ministry.  One that has really impacted me most is the letter I received from the medical clinic with the results of my blood work.  Unfortunately what I read was not new news but I believe it was enough to kick me in the butt and start making some changes in my life both physically and spiritually.

At our men's prayer group and Bible study this morning I shared some of my health concerns with the other guys and asked them to pray for me and help me be accountable to making some positive lifestyle changes.  One of the guys even issued a challenge that we all commit to run a 5K together next year.  I actually laughed when he said this because I DON'T RUN.... I don't think I have ever run a mile at one time in my life!  At first I kind of shrugged it off and thought, maybe the other guys will do it but not me.  However the more we talked I decided that I would accept this challenge.  My goal is to get my health back.  I know it won't be easy, but I have a lot to live for.  I serve a church who loves me and my family, I have a beautiful wife who supports me, and I have some of the best kids a man could ever ask for.  I ask that you pray for me and with me as I embark on this journey.

Afterward we also talked about our spiritual health.  In response to agreeing to becoming healthier physically we also agreed it is important to become healthier spiritually so we decided we needed to have spiritual goals as well as physical goals.  Our youth pastor then invited us to join with him (and the youth group) to read a chapter a day from the New Testament.  If we faithfully read a chapter a day we can read through the New Testament in one year.  It's not a lofty goal but a goal nonetheless.

I hope to journal through this time and keep you all updated on what God is doing in my life.  I ask for prayers altogether that I remain faithful to God's call on my life as a husband, father and pastor.  I pray that he would use me mightily to build the kingdom of God for his glory.  

No comments: