Thursday, June 27, 2013

Gifts and Presence


Do you like to receive gifts? I won’t lie, I do; especially when it is one that I can use or have wanted for a long time. I think we all enjoy receiving gifts because it lets us know people are thinking about, value and want to bless you.
Have you ever received a gift that you didn’t ask for, couldn’t use or just wonder what the person was thinking when he gave it to you? I remember as a younger teenager my grandma (who was a wonderful woman and had a great heart) gave me one of those gifts. She had been to Arizona I believe and she brought me back a gift. I was excited and when I opened the box it was this huge silver belt buckle that had a bunch turquoise stones embedded in it.  Let's just say it wasn't my style... I mean I wasn't much of a belt buckle guy anyhow.  I remember when I opened it I was shocked because the first thing I thought was, “I will never in a million years wear this thing… EVER!” Unfortunately I have no idea where that buckle is today. Maybe it was sold at a garage sale and some individual bought is and is proudly displaying it. I loved my grandma with all my heart but unfortunately she was not a very good gift giver. I wish I could say this was the only interesting gift I received from her but it wasn’t.

Today I would like to begin a series of posts where we look at the diverse gifts God has given to his body.  Before I do this I would like to answer a few questions...

How Many Gifts Are There?  It is debatable as to how many gifts there are.  There are at least 18 gifts listed in Corinthians, Ephesians & Romans.  However there are believed to be many more.

Is a Spiritual Gift the same as a talent?
A Spiritual gift is not to be confused with talent; there may (and usually is) a relationship between the two, but a talent is an ability you may have from birth and develop over time whereas a Spiritual gift is a gift given by God supernaturally.

What’s the difference between Spiritual fruit and a Spiritual gift?
I also should note Spiritual fruit is not the same as Spiritual gift.  The fruit of the Spirit describes the character of a believer and the gift(s) of the Spirit describe the service of the believer.

Aside from a Spiritual inventory, what are some other practical ways to discover your gift(s)?
Other Ways of Knowing Your Gift.  

  • Prayer/Ask – Desires of your heart (James 4:2, Psalm 37:4)
-          We know the gifts are given as God wills.  However when you pray for the gift(s) you want or desire, it may affect (in some way that I am uncertain) the Holy Spirit’s desire to give you the gift(s).
-          Psalm 37:4 tells us, “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.”  God does not hold good things back from us when we ask for them.  When we find complete satisfaction and joy in the Lord, He will then give us those things our hearts truly desire.

  • Counsel of others (Proverbs 15:22)
-          Someone cannot tell you what your gift is, but they certainly can assist you in your discovery process.

  • Try it out  
-          Sometimes when you are unsure of some specific gifts (prophecy, tongues, healing etc.) it doesn’t take anything more than just trying it out and seeing what happens.
-          Be in a community of believers who also practice their gifts.  You cannot be afraid of failure or of making s fool of yourself.  You can use your failures and your uncomfortable feelings as growth opportunities or confirmation that you do or do not have a specific gift(s).

No comments: